Check your BMI (Body Mass Index)

To check your BMI (Body Mass Index) Click here!
"Aim for a healthy weight"

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

All Women Are Real Women

Today's post is about body image and self worth. 

Since I was young, I have been called names such as Small Fry, Tiny, Shrimp Scampi, the whole nine yards. When I would come home crying, my mom would always attempt to comfort me with the words, "You're just petite honey. You'll love it when you're older." I began to loathe the word "petite". I didn't want to be petite. I wanted to be like the other kids, so that I wouldn't feel so small. 

In recent years, I've come to realize that being a non conformist individual is so much more fun! I've learned that society's expectations are unrealistic and phony and I don't wish to live up to them. I am not a bodacious woman with C cups. If you're reading this and you are, that's fantastic! You were created to be that way. I wasn't. I have always been slender. I have always been healthy. I have never been underweight, yet people love to tell me to "Go eat a cheeseburger!" For your information, I do! I happen to love meat, thank you. 

I just feel very passionate about women (and everyone for that matter) genuinely loving their bodies. Take care of your body. Exercise, maintain a healthy diet, sleep. Protect your body. But also, protect your mind and know your worth. Just because someone else doesn't know your value doesn't give them permission to make you feel worthless. 

Your body is beautiful. You are strong. You are real! You are all your very own. :)

Here's a poem I wrote to give my thoughts about society's standards and how I have learned to not give a fuck about them. I know how precious I am. I know I'm the rarest rose in the meadow. And I won't let anyone make me feel like a weed! Also, notice how I use the word petite in the poem! I know what I am and I'm proud of it!

A Real Woman 
There is a phrase that I despise.
Just a warning, don't ever look me in the eyes and make this statement,
"Oh, she is a real woman." 
What does that mean?
That she exists, that she breaths. That she has a soul. That she's whole. No.
When they use the word real that's not what they mean!
They mean, a woman who is not lean like me but a a woman with curves
like the loops of words you write in the third grade when the teacher tells you 
if you learn cursive you'll have it made. 
But you know what I say to my 3rd grade teacher
and all the preachers that discuss the real women?
I am a real woman too!
I was then and  I am now. I don't know how
women are supposed to appreciate their God given features 
when the media tries to teach us
that our bodies aren't right, aren't good, aren't tight, aren't toned enough.
That we need to change it.
With Nutrisystem diets and botox and plastic
Women out there making drastic changes. 
Then they don't recognize their own eyes in the mirror, all they see is a disguise. 
Forced upon them by the evils of society. 
Fuck the hypocritical propriety. 

I was born with a leg gap.
It's a natural phenomenon.
Not something to gaze upon and say, "Hey, I want that."
Then go to the gym and burn fat.
And starve yourself of nutrition and dignity
meanwhile loosing your whole identity. 

I don't have a booty.
I'm as"white"as they come.
I'm not trying to be snooty. I'm just sayin'
why can a woman with more meat than me love the curves that she owns
but I can't embrace my skin and bones??
I'm skinny and petite
but I still eat!
I work out, I lift, I run, I make love, I play.
And I say Fuck you to the people who make me feel small. 
I know I'm not tall or curvy or luscious
but I am a precious jewel.
But a fool, to let them make me feel this way. 
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
Represent Eleanor Roosevelt, the intelligent ladies. 
The ones that use their brains and not their bodies,
the ones that don't let anyone tear them down. 

I don't have breasts.
They're practically non existent. 
Maybe this is why I'm so resistant to thinking I'm beautiful. 
I see women out there flaunting their beautiful womanly breasts 
And I can't even pass the fuckin pencil test. 
They all have the ideal body 
but when you strip away the filters the whole world seems off kilter
because they aren't perfect at all!
Flaws, scars and cellulite plight the woman that was presented as the "Covergirl."
But even with all the flaws and defects, I detect a real woman. 
One who is strong.
One who will hold on, no matter what. 
No matter how she stumbles along the path. 
The real women are the ones that can say, "Hey, I look truly beautiful today."
The ones that turn away
from the lies of the magazines and the ones that don't get caught up in the scenes. 
I look to those women.
I wanna be like them. 
The same ones condemned for being "full of themselves", "conceited."
Cheated by society again!
Be confident they say but your body still needs work.
Love who you are but you still need to look like her.
Let's not confuse confidence with narcissism my friends.
That shit needs to end. 
Women should say, "I love who I am today. And everyday."
That's the woman I want to be.
Because you know what they say,..
Confidence is key.
-Lindsey Coates 1/8/15

Hope you enjoyed it! I will be performing this at a poetry slam coming up! 
Video coming soon!!!

Well, lesson of the day: we are all different shapes and sizes, but beauty to me is defined as a work of art. That's exactly what the Creator did when He made you! He constructed a masterpiece. 

Share your thoughts in the comments below and feel free to share on social media! 

Good vibes. It's been real
Elsie <3

No comments:

Post a Comment