Check your BMI (Body Mass Index)

To check your BMI (Body Mass Index) Click here!
"Aim for a healthy weight"

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Dance: Exercise for the Body and Soul

Ever since my youth, all I ever wanted to do was dance. Dancing sets me free. It helps me discover my own infinity.

Unfortunately, in recent years I had to give up taking lessons due to lack of time and financial reasons. I miss my dancing days. I miss performing in front of a crowd and disengaging my mind. I miss connecting to the music and my space, being one with the room and all the ambient sounds that fill it. 

I had been longing to dance. So when I was with my best friend (a stunning dancer) the other day, I felt inspired. I donned my leggings, high socks and crop top, ready for a dance session. We went to the gym in her apartment complex and commandeered the racket ball room. All alone in a sacred space. One would pick a song for the other and then we would improvise. 

Once I began dancing, my body began to rejoice. Slowly but surely my feet would recall a new movement. My arms would reach. My heart leaped inside my chest. My body remembered more than I thought it would. 

Dancing, to say it in layman's terms, is sooooo good for your body and your overall well-being! Here's why:
  • Enhances conditions of heart and lungs
  • Increases muscular strength, motor fitness and endurance
  • Increases muscle tone
  • Counts as aerobic fitness
  • Healthy for your bones and reduces risk of osteoporosis
  • Increases flexibility 
  • Increases balance and coordination
  • Self-esteem booster
  • Helps you gain more social skills (if dancing in a group or with a partner)
  • Helps with weight management

Dancing is not only a valuable physical exercise but also one of the most freeing experiences. The phrase "Dance like nobody is watching" is a wise one. When I danced the other day, I felt like a bird that was just liberated from its cage.

Dancing burns a massive amount of calories as well. Using my Lose It! app, (Download it!!!) I calculated that I burned about 250 calories from dancing for 45 minutes! And it did not even feel like I was exercising, because it was so fun and engaging. 


Here is a video snippet of my improv dance session from the other day. I apologize; I know the video quality is not top notch. This was by no means rehearsed and I do not consider this my best work. But I still felt it worthy of sharing. :) I am dancing to the song Blindness by Justin Timberlake. 

Tips: 
1. Always warm up and cool down with full body stretches
2. Take breaks in between songs to drink water
3. Dance like nobody is watching!
4. Have fun!

If you like to dance, I would recommend trying a Zumba class! Super fun fitness and a total calorie burning workout! 

Go dance the night away! Tell us about your freeing dance experience in the comments below! 

Stay golden. 
Elsie <3

No comments:

Post a Comment